Many people try to avoid the cleaning of the gutters because they consider it a tedious task. But, it is not as bad as it seems. Also, it is important to keep the gutters clean because it protects your home’s foundation from being damaged. These gutter cleaning tips would help you to carry out the task efficiently.
1. Use A Secure Ladder:
Always use a strong and good portable ladder which you can place on a sturdy surface as well. Orchard and ladders made from wood are not endorsed as an orchard ladder has only three legs which can get unbalanced whereas wooden ladders are unstable because they are light. Strongest and durable ladders are the fiberglass ladders because they are very heavy and would not move out of their place.
2. Use A Small Plastic Scoop:
The best tool to clean is to use a small scoop made from plastic. They are considered the best because their front is extremely thin and can be reached to any part very easily. These scoops are easily available at any hardware store. You can even use children’s shovel box which would work just as fine. It is considered as the quality method to pick out the remains of the leaves from the gutter. Try not to use a metal scoop as it may destroy the gutter of your house and its seams.
3. Secure Your Hands And Eyes:
Use gloves to secure your hands from the dirty debris of the leaves which may also contain droppings of the birds and animals such as pigeons and squirrels which may contain harmful bacteria. Cotton gloves are recommended as they can easily soak the dirty water which might expose your skin to germs. Rubber and the gloves made from leather are not advisable as they can shrink up and rubber gloves may get torn in the gutter easily. Protection of your eyes is also necessary because you never know what might happen to your eyes while cleaning the gutters.
4. Use Shoes Made From Rubber:
It is nice to wear shoes made of rubber if you are planning to stroll on the roof during the cleaning process. Rubber shoes are considered the best to avoid any type of falling from the roof. The most suitable time to take a stroll on the roof is in the afternoon as roofs are humid in the morning.
5. Clean Them At Least Semi Annually:
Try scheduling the cleaning of your gutter semi-annually. You can plan one cleaning session in autumn and one during the time of spring. These regular cleaning sessions will help you ensure that your gutters are not damaged from rain water in case of a clogged drain. It would also lessen the risk of your gutters being corroded as the presence of debris can quicken the action of corroding in the gutters.
So, the gutter cleaning process is not as bad as it looks once you have learned how to do it correctly! But if you still need some help, at Irvine Window Cleaners we offer many cleaning services to suit all of your needs.
Although cleaning a light fixture (like those large chandeliers) is a task that we postpone as much as possible, once properly cleaned you will notice the difference it can make to how your home looks! It gives your whole room a new look and would also increase the life span of your bulbs. So, it is essential that you clean your light fixtures regularly. Here are some steps to help you out if you're doing this for the first time:
1. Gather All The Supplies:
Before cleaning your light fixtures, you need to gather all the supplies which you will need. Some of the most common tools and supplies are a soft cloth, detergent, towels, mild and plain water, lamp shades and fabric vacuum. Before using soap on any glass hardware, test a small area first!
2. Turn Off The Power First: The most essential step to cleaning the light fixtures is to turn off the power first to avoid the risk of electric shock. So, whichever fixtures you are planning on cleaning, turn off their electric supply first.
3. Position The Ladder Correctly: In case you are using any ladder to clean the light fixtures, make sure it is positioned correctly. It should be positioned in a way that its feet are straight and flat to avoid any type of tipping or stumbling. Move it according to your needs and don’t stretch yourself to reach to a fixture.
4. Remove The Bulbs: Whichever type of fixture you are cleaning, you have to remove the bulb first in order to clean them thoroughly. If the bulbs are too tight, you should not put too much force while removing them. Instead, you can make loops by using a duct tape and put it on the bulb. It would make handles on both sides of the bulb and you will be able to twist it easily. Also, notice where each bulb goes so that you can reassemble it easily later.
5. Clean The Light Fixture: Different types of light fixtures have to be cleaned in a different way. There are many ways to keep your light fixtures clean depending on the type of the finish. Most of them can be cleaned easily with a wet cloth. Painted bases and materials like brass can be cleaned with the help of soap solution and a cloth. If the fixture is made from wood, it can be cleaned with polish and lemon oil.
6. Treat The Shades Very Gently: Each shade would require different type of care according to its structure. For example, glass shades would need a soft cloth for cleaning but if you want to clean it deeply, you should use a gentle glass cleaner. You should never put a shade in to washing machine or even a dishwasher because it will ruin its shape and material.
7. Clean The Bulbs As Well: In case your bulbs are dirty, you can clean them safely as well with a use of a soft and dry piece of cloth. Don’t scrub the bulbs too hard, or they will shatter. If the bulbs are too dirty, they might need replacing.
These steps would ensure that your light fixtures are cleaned deeply without damaging the bulbs!
If you ever think that window cleaning is a simple task you can do anytime, you need to rethink! Whether you are cleaning the windows yourself or someone else is doing it for you, make sure that they are equipped with all the safety equipment and protection in case there is a fall. For this purpose, there are many safety equipment you can use while cleaning your windows or having them cleaned by someone else. We have listed some window cleaning equipment below for you. Check them out!
1. Protective Clothing:
Most commonly, protective clothing is used for the workers belonging to the field of construction and factories but it has been gaining popularity among window cleaners as well. Personal protective equipment include many things but the ones important for window cleaners are secured and visible clothes, shoes, hats, gloves and helmets. The cleaners must be given proper training as to how to use these equipment properly for their own safety. The employer also needs to make sure that these safety equipment are used by his window cleaners.
2. Portable ladders:
The old method of window cleaning includes portable ladders. Many window cleaners still use these ladders to reach at a certain height and clean out windows. Therefore, before going out for window cleaning, it is necessary to ensure that the ladder is not damaged and does not have any defects. Also, check that the ladder holds your weight perfectly. You need to make sure that the ladder which you are going to use is suitable for the work which you intend to do. Many accidents in which ladders are involved happen due to the fact that it was not placed correctly, wasn’t suitable enough for the job or couldn’t hold the weight of the user.
3. Fall Arrest Equipment:
Fall arrest equipment is extremely necessary for people working at heights to ensure their safety and for the job to be completed safely. A safety harness is one of the most common fall equipment used by window cleaners because it is specially designed for this job only. It should be connected to a safe anchor point and attached to the employee while he cleans the windows. Just like the ladders, the fall arrest equipment should also be checked beforehand to ensure it is in safe working condition to ensure the safety of the cleaners. The anchor point needs to be checked regularly as well.
4. Cell Phones:
If you are up there cleaning windows, you need to keep a cellphone with yourself in case any emergency arises. It is always good to let someone know where you are and what you are doing. Also, if you find yourself in any difficult situation, you can also contact someone with your cellphone.
Thus, to ensure the safety of the window cleaner, these safety equipment need to be used. They will not only help to keep the cleaner protected but would also help in achieving the job perfectly!