Although cleaning a light fixture (like those large chandeliers) is a task that we postpone as much as possible, once properly cleaned you will notice the difference it can make to how your home looks! It gives your whole room a new look and would also increase the life span of your bulbs. So, it is essential that you clean your light fixtures regularly. Here are some steps to help you out if you're doing this for the first time:
1. Gather All The Supplies:
Before cleaning your light fixtures, you need to gather all the supplies which you will need. Some of the most common tools and supplies are a soft cloth, detergent, towels, mild and plain water, lamp shades and fabric vacuum. Before using soap on any glass hardware, test a small area first!
2. Turn Off The Power First: The most essential step to cleaning the light fixtures is to turn off the power first to avoid the risk of electric shock. So, whichever fixtures you are planning on cleaning, turn off their electric supply first.
3. Position The Ladder Correctly: In case you are using any ladder to clean the light fixtures, make sure it is positioned correctly. It should be positioned in a way that its feet are straight and flat to avoid any type of tipping or stumbling. Move it according to your needs and don’t stretch yourself to reach to a fixture.
4. Remove The Bulbs: Whichever type of fixture you are cleaning, you have to remove the bulb first in order to clean them thoroughly. If the bulbs are too tight, you should not put too much force while removing them. Instead, you can make loops by using a duct tape and put it on the bulb. It would make handles on both sides of the bulb and you will be able to twist it easily. Also, notice where each bulb goes so that you can reassemble it easily later.
5. Clean The Light Fixture: Different types of light fixtures have to be cleaned in a different way. There are many ways to keep your light fixtures clean depending on the type of the finish. Most of them can be cleaned easily with a wet cloth. Painted bases and materials like brass can be cleaned with the help of soap solution and a cloth. If the fixture is made from wood, it can be cleaned with polish and lemon oil.
6. Treat The Shades Very Gently: Each shade would require different type of care according to its structure. For example, glass shades would need a soft cloth for cleaning but if you want to clean it deeply, you should use a gentle glass cleaner. You should never put a shade in to washing machine or even a dishwasher because it will ruin its shape and material.
7. Clean The Bulbs As Well: In case your bulbs are dirty, you can clean them safely as well with a use of a soft and dry piece of cloth. Don’t scrub the bulbs too hard, or they will shatter. If the bulbs are too dirty, they might need replacing.
These steps would ensure that your light fixtures are cleaned deeply without damaging the bulbs!